Momma, if you are reading this, I need your attention for this blog post. And if you aren’t one, I would suggest you still read on, this might be helpful for you. And if you fall into the catagory of a daddy, I would advise you to put your phone down, handle your kids for a bit, while the momma gets to read this. Great, thank you! Hopefully, everything has been resolved by now, and the mommas are all here, the toddlers have been given pacifiers and the kids have been handed over ipads by daddies so that the mommas could give me their undivided attention. There, I like it.
Now, ladies, did you do anything today that did not involve catering to a screaming toddler or an impatient husband? I was afraid the answer would a big, fat, NO. See, as much as we love being the ultimate home maker, making sure everything runs smoothly within the household and every family member’s demands are met before they start losing their sh*t. (Quite, literally, in case of a toddler) It is important, I repeat, IMPORTANT, that you set some ‘Me Time’ aside for yourself, every single day. I cannot emphasize enough on the fact that how vital it is for your own well being. You have people depending on you, in fact a whole household depending on you, and how are you to take on such responsibilities with all your heart when the heart hasn’t been nurtured and nourished regularly?
Learn to be kind to yourself along with showing kindness to every other living being around you. Because, the time spent with yourself is going to take you a long way, both physically and mentally. Now that you have fully grasped what I’m trying to tell you here, (If you still haven’t, woman, forget about that tantrum being thrown outside for once, I have made sure your husband is there to deal with it, and just go and read the first two paragraphs of this post with CONCENTRATION this time.) fret not, because I have prepared a list of things for you to indulge in during this, coveted, ‘Me Time’ which I’m going on an on about. You won’t regret the time out, promise.
1. Write: Be it poetry, a short story, or your jumbled up thoughts. Write because there is no other, better outlet for those piled up emotions.
2. Go to the movies: Fix a date with your girlfriend. Go out for a few hours, have popcorns, let that hair down, girrrrrl.
2. Dance your heart out: Youtube Shawn T and get moving!
3. Take a walk: Sometimes a quiet walk with your thoughts is enough to clear your head.
4 Treat yourself: Go out for a spa day or treat yourself to a mighty lunch at your favourite cafe.
5. Read: Catch up on your half read novels. Personally, I love reading the most because my mind can escape to any country the author wishes to take me to. I usually return light headed and content.
6. Call someone you haven’t talked to in a while. Catch up and make plans.
7. Get crafting: Indulge in arts and crafts if you fancy that!
8. Yoga: This is by far the best! Yoga tends to completely refresh your body and soul.
9. Drive: Go out for a short drive, put on Lana Del Ray and sing on top of your lungs!
10. Visit your happy place, just close your eyes, and you are transported.
The Lazy Working Mother.